Shiny Happy Things

by 21stcenturymummy on February 16, 2010

I’ve been tagged for the first time in a Shiny Happy Things meme by Jo on her Slummy Single Mummy blog. It was originally started by Rosie Scribble : Things that make you smile…it’s a lovely idea, and I smiled a lot thinking about it. I hope I’ve done it right!

So anyway…here are some of things my two year old does that put a smile on my face

It makes me smile…

When she first sees me when I pick her up from nursery, she gets the biggest smile on her face and runs around in excitement.

When she comes up to me and gives me a kiss or a hug for no apparent reason.

That her favourite thing to do at the moment is splash in muddy puddles, because that’s what Peppa Pig likes!

When I heard her trying to sing some of the Jay-Z and Alicia Keys song Empire State of Mind (in New York) yesterday.

When I also heard her humming the theme tune to Eastenders (although I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry)

That she finds the world so exciting, whether it’s bubbles or going for a babyccino.

Because she still wakes up thinking every day is going to be her birthday again.

When I watch her sleeping, she’s so angelic.

When she sometimes laughs so hard about something she falls over.

When she comes up to me and says in a very concerned and grown up voice “are you okay mummy?” if I trip over or hurt myself.

I wish I remembered all these things, when I’m tearing my hair out!

In keeping with the spirit of a meme, it’s now my turn to tag some other mummies – who I don’t think have been tagged before:

Ellie at Insomniac Mummy, Liz at Violet Posy, Karin at Cafe Bebe, Wendy at Wendy Mallins, Pippa at A Mothers Ramblings

But I would love to know what makes you smile too :)

Wendy Mallins February 16, 2010 at 10:07 pm

A lovely meme – I love the fact your girly falls over when she laughs sooooo much – that’s just so cute!!! Theme to Eastenders… Practically a nursery rhyme at my house 😉

Wendy Mallins February 16, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Rosie Scribble February 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Awww… that’s gorgeous. I love it when my daughter leans in close and says, “Mummy, you look worried.” So sweet!

21stcenturymum February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Ah thanks x

Rosie Scribble February 16, 2010 at 10:10 pm

21stcenturymum February 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Ah thanks x

Heather February 17, 2010 at 9:54 am

what a gorgeous meme. so uplifting to read.

Heather February 17, 2010 at 9:54 am

what a gorgeous meme. so uplifting to read.

21stcenturymum February 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm

She can only sing “New York” then hums! :)

are we nearly there yet? February 19, 2010 at 11:40 am

awwww! d—-(^_^)—-b

arewenearlythereyet February 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Wow I would love to hear her rendition of Jay-Z and Alicia Keys! Great blog, it certainly put a smile on my face :)

21stcenturymum February 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm

She can only sing “New York” then hums! :)

are we nearly there yet? February 19, 2010 at 11:40 am

awwww! d—-(^_^)—-b

arewenearlythereyet February 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm

21stcenturymum February 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm

She can only sing “New York” then hums! :)

are we nearly there yet? February 19, 2010 at 11:40 am

awwww! d—-(^_^)—-b

Julie February 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Oh, reading all the comments, I’ve just got to mention our facebook page to save the lullaby – would love you guys to join the discussion if you are interested. You’ll laugh when you see the number of parents who said they sing pop songs and theme tunes to their kids rather than lullabies – looks like your households aren’t the only ones rocking to Eastenders :)

21stcenturymum February 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Hi Julie, I wrote somewhere about that yesterday, I can’t remember where. When my 2 year old was a baby, I always used to play/sing her lullabies. The best CD was Sophie Barker’s Lullaby! She listens to nursery rhymes now. I never remember the words to pop songs, so I don’t sing them. She does pick up things off the TV and Radio – including the Go Compare song from the TV ad!

Julie February 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm

21stcenturymum February 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Julie February 18, 2010 at 5:39 pm

21stcenturymum February 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Julie February 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Oh yes, I did see that! Did you see all the press over David Cameron’s comments on Woman’s hour today? Very timely for our campaign but he’s certainly managed to stir up a storm for himself.

Did you see Sophie Barker on the BBC on Monday? She’s doing interviews at the moment so, if you’d be interested in speaking to her, let me know and I’ll see if I can sort it for you.

21stcenturymum February 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Hi again. No I missed Woman’s hour and Sophie Barker on BBC, anywhere I can watch either of them. And yes, I’d love to speak to her. Janinehttps://21stcenturymummy.wordpress.com/wp-admin/edit-comments.php#comments-form

Julie February 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm

21stcenturymum February 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Julie February 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm

21stcenturymum February 19, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Julie February 19, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Cool, leave it with me and I’ll get back to you.

We have linked to both BBC pieces on the Facebook Group :)

Julie February 19, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Cool, leave it with me and I’ll get back to you.

We have linked to both BBC pieces on the Facebook Group :)

Julie February 19, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Cool, leave it with me and I’ll get back to you.

We have linked to both BBC pieces on the Facebook Group :)