Benefits and Little Britain

by 21stcenturymummy on April 24, 2010

The next Mummy Blogging Carnival is being hosted by Mummydothat and has a political theme, which, given the upcoming election is a brilliant idea.  I have one or two, in fact, many gripes with the way this country is currently run, so with the election imminent here is my post.

The Socialist State We Live In

My husband and I are working parents (I work 2 days a week). As working parents, we work hard for the money we earn but are penalised for doing so with the ever-increasing taxes (such as the proposed National Insurance increase) we are forced to pay under the current government. These taxes go towards paying for the increasing number of handouts the government is giving out. It is so easy for people, who quite frankly can’t be bothered to get off their a*se to get a job, to claim benefits. But where’s the incentive to get a job when in many cases working parent families have less money than families where neither parent works. Where is the fairness in that? But this, thanks to Gordon Brown, is the Socialist state we live.

Little Britain

You just have to look at Wayne and Waynetta Slob who unfortunately live on the other side of our garden. The mother could be Vicky Pollard from Little Britain (think pink tracksuits and blubbery bodies). They  live in a small flat that is owned by the council and have 4 children. Neither adult works and they always hanging around the post office at the end of our street, smoking and drinking (with their kids). When their door is open, all I can hear is her screaming and swearing at one child or other. I feel very sorry for the children because what kind of life do they have? (But that’s a whole other issue). Having a child is privilege not a right and I think if you have children, you should be able to support them yourself instead of relying on the government.

It makes me so angry that our hard earned money goes towards supporting these people who quite simply sponge off the state? I’m sure part of the reason that the government have ensured so many people rely on state benefits is so these people will vote for Gordon Brown in the next election.

The Solution is Simple.

The government needs to clamp down on benefit cheats, reduce the number of people claiming benefits when they shouldn’t be, by not making it so easy, and incentivise people to get jobs.They will save billions and won’t need to put taxes up. The Conservatives suggestions to reform the benefits system include a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ policy where if people on benefits turn down three jobs their benefits will be cut. I agree with this because people should not be getting a free ride like they do under the current system.

It would be really interesting to hear what you think? Do you agree? What would your solution be?

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

Luschka April 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I must say, I don’t get where all this money goes, because I’m unemployed now (was made redundant as I went on maternity leave) and I dont seem to qualify for much of anything!

As for your neighbours, we lived across the hall from someone like that once. He wasn’t supposed to be there, she and the kids were meant to be in ‘sheltered housing’ but he found them and moved in with them and he spent all his time yelling at those kids. It was terrible, terrible, terrible. The little boy was the skiniest, smallest little runt of a child I’ve ever seen. I felt so awful for them. It was hard knowing what to do.

Luschka April 26, 2010 at 3:11 pm

21stcenturymum April 27, 2010 at 8:41 am

It is the children I feel sorry for, the youngest ones are so sweet but already the older one has a bad attitude. Can’t possibly think where he gets it from!

21stcenturymum April 27, 2010 at 8:41 am

Crystal Jigsaw April 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Totally agree. This benefit system is getting very bad when people would rather claim benefits instead of work – simply because they will get more money from benefits.

CJ xx

Crystal Jigsaw April 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm

CJ xx

Laura McIntyre April 27, 2010 at 1:39 pm

AGREE

Alot of the time it makes me sick . I have a cousin , she is a single mother with 2 kids age 6 and 4 and suffers from depression . Not including the money she gets from her ex husband or the fact she has no rent or concil tax to pay she gets almost £1500 a MONTH . Can you imagine? Not to mention she gets help with childcare and cleaning because of her “problems” . She is always going on holidays and redecorating and buying new clothes , she lives on more than we do and we are a family of 5 whose hubby works 2 jobs.

Laura McIntyre April 27, 2010 at 1:39 pm

AGREE

sardinetin April 29, 2010 at 10:35 am

It is the vicious cycle to it all that depresses me – the fact that there are certain families that are now in the second generation of living off benefits. The children do not know anything different, because their parents have never known any different, and you can just tell that, unless some miracle happens, their future will look the same. I am not convinced there is necessarily an easy answer – it means changing a whole culture, which can never happen overnight.

sardinetin April 29, 2010 at 10:35 am