Children's Birthday Cakes: Bake It or Fake It?

by 21stcenturymummy on August 15, 2010

Bit of birthday cake theme going on at www.21stcenturymummy.com this week. See my recent post on Barbie Princess Birthday Cake.

It’s party season for us at the moment. Three 3-year old parties this weekend alone. At each party, all the children hang out for the BIRTHDAY CAKE. The question is do you buy or make the birthday cake yourself? I tend to do both, well actually, as I have the cooking/baking skills of a goat, my mother makes a cake for the birthday party for all my daughter’s friends and I buy one (usually a Waitrose or M&S number) for the family/grown-up friends party. I do feel a teeny bit guilty that I don’t make one myself, especially when I see some of the creations my friends produce.

At one party this weekend, there was an amazing train cake on the table. Apparently the little boy had insisted he wanted a train. What a fabulous creation:

Apparently his father, yes that’s right, his FATHER, had made it. I really thought he was winding me up. It’s from Annabel Karmel and is the No Bake Train Cake. It easier than it looks but it’s pretty impressive all the same.

Amazing! Not only did it look fab, it was made by a Dad. Wonder if my OH would be interested in making a cake for his daughter?

Bet there are lots of mums out there that do bake their own cakes.

TheMadHouse August 15, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I baked my first cake this year, before that I just didnt have the engery!

21stcenturymummy August 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Since having my daughter I have done some things I never ever thought I would. I made some banana cake the other day. My family was shocked!

Janine Clements Freelance Journalist (& Mummy Blogger) Mobile: 07779 806797 Mummy Blog http://www.21stcenturymummy.com Twitter: @mummytweets

rachel August 16, 2010 at 10:52 am

I’ve got the dinosaur cake pan from Lakeland, which is similar to this, you decorate with sweets etc. However, I’ve not used it yet! Naughty.
I’ve always bought a cake from a shop (Disney princess, me to you bear, fifi, peppa pig), but this year I had a custom made Jurassic Park style cake, complete with jungle, river, and plastic dinosaurs.

Don’t feel guilty at all, my daughters face each time was a picture!! “Fiiiifiii on caaaake!!”

Kate August 16, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I have done a mixture. I do like to bake but my baking doesn’t generally look that pretty.

I made this one for my son’s first birthday. He had been loving coconut. He turned his nose up at it.

This year, I did half and half. I made this chocolate cake:

but got a Ben 10 topper made out of icing to go on top for my son. He loved it.

My daughter wanted a Princess cake and she fell in love with the one in Asda so I bought that.

I was well chuffed because a friend of mine, who is a food technology teacher, donated a prize to a raffle to have a cake made – and I won it! That’s one of next year’s sorted!!

My friend always has hers made and they do look divine but I shudder to think how much she’s being charged for them. Shop or homemade doesn’t really matter – it’s great if you can make something pretty your child appreciate but don’t bust a gut over it if it’s really not your thing.

JulieB August 17, 2010 at 11:51 am

Baking is one thing I like to think I am vaguely good at, so I do like to make my own. Having said this, I am terrible at actually decorating them once I have made them, so my kids generally get a basic round thing – although I have now invested in a giant cupcake pan, which is v impressive and quite easy. As it cost a fortune, they are not allowed anything else for the next 20 years!

EmmaK August 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Looks good. Yeah I can see it might not be that hard to make if the train is made of a pre bought swiss roll. Since I have the cooking skills of a humpback whale I might try it !! It would definitely be a hit with my kids

21stcenturymummy August 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Wonder which is worse – the cooking skills of a goat like me, or a humpback whale like you???

Girls Party November 30, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I think if I left making the cake to my Husband we would end up with one he purchased from a supermarket!

Girls Pamper Parties August 29, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I think going to a cake maker is best…. expensive, but they pretty much always look fab. some of the cake makers i have used have been utterly brilliant. Supermarket cakes and home made cakes are too simple for my taste

{ 1 trackback }