Listography: Games I used to play

by admin on September 10, 2011

This week’s listography has had me delving into the recesses of my brain. It has brought back memories of the good times, when life was easy and responsibility-free. It was an idyllic lifestyle in a small Wiltshire village. These are all games we played when I was primary school age.

British Bulldogs

Image from Tattoodonkey.com

This is a great game of very physical tag that we used to play in the school field or our garden. 2 people (the bulldogs) would stand in the middle, everyone else lined up at one end. The bulldogs would shout ‘British bulldogs’ and everyone would then charge across the play area, trying not to be caught by the bulldogs. If they did get caught then they too would become bulldogs. The winner was the last person not to be caught.

Skipping

I loved skipping and clapping games in the school playground. You had to jump in the middle of either one or two ropes being swung by one person either end and try not to trip up. I used to be able to jump and move my legs so quickly. This is one of the rhymes I remember.

Had a little bumper car, number 48, went around the cooooorner (skipper jumps out and runs around the twirler and run back in the rope. Keep saying ‘corner’ until the skipper jumps back in), slams on the brakes, brakes don’t work. Policeman came  along and put me in jail. How many days did he put me in jail? (count until the player messes up).

French elastic

Following a similar idea to skipping, this is where two people stand with a large piece of elastic stretched around their ankles. The person in the middle then jumped in and out of the elastic, trying not to get tangled up. This is one of rhymes.

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales
Inside, outside, inside, on!’

Tag game involving fruit

I can’t remember what this game was called but we played it at home. You had to get across the field without being hit with plums or apples by the other team. It hurt when you were hit!

Kiss, cuddle or snog.

A variation on the more traditional ‘Kiss, cuddle or torture’. All the girls used to chase after the good-looking boys.

Ahhh! The good old days.

Barenakedmummy September 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I loved skipping, can’t believe I forgot that…I tried to do some recently on my daughter’s skipping rope and I failed!!

BNM

admin September 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm

My 3 year old is desperate for a skipping rope, she’s a bit too young.

Kate Takes 5 September 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

We had ‘Truth, Dare, Kiss or Promise’ which was in fact terrifying – had totally forgotten about it until now. (Love the fruit game btw!!)

admin September 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm

We didn’t play truth or dare until much older – then it was really terrifying

motherventing September 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

OMG I forgot about elastics! We LOVED that game, in fact I’m pretty sure I nicked some elastic from the hardware shop so I had my own (don’t tell my mum. Or the police). There were loads of rhymes but I only remember the one you said. Aaaah memories! Thanks! :)

admin September 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Very hazy memories for me :)

mum of all trades September 11, 2011 at 9:25 am

Where did the fruit come from? Did your mums know you were wasting good fruit?!!

admin September 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Lived on a farm with loads of fruit trees so there was a plentiful supply.

Rebecca September 11, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Can’t believe you used to throw plums at each other – hilarious!

Just seen someone else on the linky call it Chinese elastic. Funny how there are different names for the same games.

Reluctant Housedad September 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

British Bulldog brings back some memories – not for the faint-hearted. And we had True, Dare, Kiss, Command or Promise, which always had the same outcome focused on our local heart-throb called Sharon: ‘Is it true you love Sharon?’ Yes. ‘Dare you to kiss her.’ ‘Kiss her.’ ‘I command you to kiss her.’ ‘Do you promise to kiss her.’ Such innocent days!