The water babies

by admin on May 2, 2012

Photo: Miss C

I have strong and happy memories from when I was a child swimming in the pool at my grandparent’s villa in Spain. I was water baby and they were halcyon days. I hope my children have the same happy memories when they look back on their time in Singapore.

We have a very nice lifestyle in Singapore that generally revolves around swimming or getting wet because it is so hot. There are swimming pools everywhere, at every condo and at most houses, and playdates often involve swimming or being near a pool. Because of this my children drowning is one of my biggest fears.

I was terrified when we first arrived as Miss C couldn’t swim.  She’d had weekly lessons since she was 3 months in the UK and swam with armbands but wouldn’t jump in and had no confidence in the water.  She was afterall only just 3. I stuck her straight in lessons to build her confidence and to get her to swim unaided.

Even though I never took my eyes off her whenever she was near the pool, she still fell in the water twice, once ending up upside down in a swimming ring. It slipped down to her knees as she jumped in (the water was shallow enough to stand in). I jumped in, fully clothed and heavily pregnant, and pulled her up. She was shocked and I nearly had a heart-attack, but she was fine. It shows how dangerous float rings can be.

Miss C was soon swimming unaided and swims like a mermaid now. I was amazed that my 3 year old could swim without armbands, but it’s no big deal here. Children are in the pool every day, so there are plenty of 3 year olds who can swim by themselves.

Miss C loves being in the water and is a real water baby, Baby C looks to be heading that way too.

Swimming is such an important life skill so I think all children should learn how to swim.

Britmums are running the Joy of Swimming linky competition in conjunction withthe British Gas Free Swims for Britain programme. I’m not entering but I think it’s a great idea.

bookjunkie May 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm

your story taught me one thing – that’s mother’s incredible love right there. Reminded me of my mum watching us by the poolside years ago. She could not swim and she used to always want to have us in sight, even though the instructor was around.

Jennifer Howze May 5, 2012 at 8:13 pm

What a fantastic photo! It’s so true that learning to swim early makes it all easier. Also, relying on floatation aids can give a real false sense of security. I vividly remember being in a ring at the deep end of the pool when young and it was slowly losing air. I didn’t realise until I slipped underwater and had to grab the suit of my sister’s friend for her to pull me up. I decided then and there to learn to swim without a ring.

Thanks for mentioning the competition!

admin May 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

You’re welcome re the competition

willyn May 7, 2012 at 7:27 am

My life as a kid was full of interesting memories about “swimming”… I still remember how i would love to swim for almost half a day and how my mother would scold me for my “too much addiction” for it…
Such a perfect memory to reminisce about…!!!

admin May 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I often can’t get my eldest out of the water

Susanna May 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Wonderful pic!

debbie doodah May 22, 2012 at 8:32 pm

debbi doodah May 22, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Great Piccie! I lived in Singapore as a teenager … my brothers and my little sis and I would swim most days at the Officers Club at RAF Changi and had lessons with Alan Ng, the best coach around! We’d enter as many races as poss in the swimming galas. My little sis and I would sing songs to each other under the water, the other having to guess what we were singing, and we would have competitions to see who could hold their breath underwater the longest and who could swim at least a length underwater. At all times there was a life guard on duty, so our parents were pretty relaxed about us being safe in the pool, their main concern was about not getting sunburnt in the ferocious heat – t-shirts were worn on a regular basis to protect us. Truly fun days – we loved living in Singapore and had not a care in the world!

admin May 23, 2012 at 6:21 am

I would have loved to have living in Singapore at that time. It’s all getting a bit too modern now.