The Haze has turned to smog, you can even taste the smoke in the air. Kids should be kept inside, but we all know that can be a nightmare. If you want to avoid them turning into horrible little monsters, here’s a few things you can do to entertain your kids indoors.
- Colouring, Painting and Playdoh: I’m stating the obvious but kids love this stuff.
- Messy play: mix some cornflour and water (2 part cornflour, 1 parts water) in a bowl and let them stick their fingers in. It very strange stuff, as it goes hard when picked up, then turns into liquid.
- Fill up the sink with water: put in toys, bottles, bubbles or fill up balloons and let them get wet.
- Stick them in a bubble bath: This is a great way of calming even the most irritable kid. My kids will spend hours splashing around.
- Play Hide and Seek: my two year old absolutely loves this game. Or use up less energy by hiding their teddy!
- Have an indoor picnic/tea party : invite friends, dolls and teddies too.
- Make a camp: Put sheets over chairs and tables to make a tent with pillows inside, and make them a mini picnic to eat inside.
- Sing: put on their favourite nursery rhyme CD and sing songs. Use shakers, bells or tambourines if they have them.
- Get a wiggle on: turn up the radio/music TV/iPod, get the disco lights going if you have them, and DANCE! My kids love Psy’s Gangnam Style, Abba or Lady Gaga.
- Do some baking: Here’s recipes for Rice Krispie cakes, Teddy Bear Fairy Cakes, Banana Cake or biscuits – let them play with the mixture and cut out shapes (obviously make sure they stay well away from the oven and anything hot).
- Cuddle up on the sofa: with a book or look at a family photo album.
- Do a treasure hunt: this is great for 4 and overs. Write and hide clues around the house, which lead to a treat.
If all else fails, make some popcorn and watch their favourite DVD.
What other ideas do you have to entertain your kids indoors?